One of the projects we are very proud of is the ‘Aspromayo Organic Tahiti Lime Exports project’. This beautiful project supervised by Alexander Restrepo has achieved a place in the finals of the ‘GLOBALG.A.P. Awards 2018’!
So much achieved in little time
OTC’s Product development manager Alexander Restrepo and our Colombian partner EXCOAGRO S.A.S are the founders of this project. With his background as an agronomist, Alexander guides a group of lime growers in one of the poorest regions of Colombia since 2017. One of the goals of this project was to obtain the GLOBALG.A.P. certificate, which proved possible for 22 producers in January 2018. By obtaining the certificate it opened the world of the growers, literally and figuratively speaking, resulting:
- in a period of 13 months, we have exported 400 metric tons of limes to Europe, supplying premium supermarkets in Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, and the Netherlands;
- the average income per kilogram of limes for the farmers has increased by 450%, permitting improvement in the quality of life of the families and the community as a whole;
- due to the stringent requirements set by GLOBALG.A.P. the producers’ way of working is improved and professionalized where necessary;
- thanks to the conscientious work of the farmers and the two experts supporting the certification process of GLOBALG.A.P., there is now a completely documented and correct system of records of the farms, which has been praised by the auditors during inspections;
- the project has demonstrated that the GLOBALG.A.P. certification is not just for large luxurious farms, it is a standard which is accessible to every farmer who wishes to do things properly, in a documented and structured manner.
Unfortunately we haven’t won the ‘GLOBALG.A.P. Award 2018’, but we are very proud that we have reached the finals. Given the short duration of the project, a lot has already been achieved thanks to all those involved. That bodes well for the future!